Welcome to our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page. 

If you do not see the answer to your question on this page, please contact us using our email form here in the website and we will respond as quickly as possible. 

No answers matched your search
General District Questions
Q: How can I start my water and sewer service with the District?

A: Call or visit the District Business Office to establish an account.  Water service is generally established within 24 hours.  Accounts are only established in the owner's name, or their designated Property Management Company.

Q: Why are accounts established only in the name of the Property Owner, or their designated Property Management Company?

A: Water is the responsibility of the property owner.  A lien against the property may be assessed for unpaid account balances.  The District is not a party to contract agreements between an owner/property manager and a tenant.

Q: Why is the District's "big red or white vehicle " (a vehicle using water and rodding equipment to clean sewer lines) parked in front of my house?

A: The District routinely cleans sewer lines each year, completing the entire system every three years.  The vehicle is also used when responding to possible blockages within the sewer collection system.

Q: Why does the District have a white commercial sized van parked on my street?

A: The white van has video equipment in it that is used to inspect our sewer collection system.  By using the video equipment, we can determine the type, size, and condition of the pipe.  The video inspection also allows us to determine the effectiveness of sewer line cleaning, identify potential problems (roots, grease, and other debris) in the pipe, and provides a basis to schedule repairs and/or replacement of the pipe.

Q: Why do I sometimes notice an odor when driving by the wastewater treatment plant?

A: The treatment of fecal matter (human waste) may generate some degree of odor.  The intensity of odors will vary according to the stage of treatment.  Odors are more noticeable when sludge is removed from the digesters (about twice a month over two or three days) and an easterly wind is underway.

Billing Questions
Q: Will a deposit be required to start service?

A: Commercial accounts require a $150 deposit.  Deposits can be included on the first billing, or be paid in person.  You can request the deposit be applied to the account after a year if the account is in good standing (no late fees).

Q: How is my monthly bill calculated?

A: There are two areas in a bill, Water and Wastewater.  Each of these areas has two charges, a base rate and a usage rate.  The base rate is a flat fee charged for fixed expenses (such as operating expenses and bill preparation) and usage does not change this charge. Water usage is calculated utilizing meter reads for the billing period.  Wastewater usage is calculated using a Winter Determination Period Average (the bill periods of December, January and February).  These bill months are typically the lowest interior consumption months and best represent return flows to the Wastewater Treatment Plant.

Q: When will my bill be due?

A: The District bills monthly according to an West-Central-East Cycle. West accounts are always due on the 5th of the month, Central accounts are always due on the 23rd of the month and the East accounts are always due on the 20th of the month.

Q: Are late fees applied to accounts?

A: A late fee is applied on the 7th day after the Due Date.  A six (6) day grace period exists between when the payment is due and when the late fee is applied. 

Q: Can I request a payment arrangement if unable to pay by the Due Date?

A: The District allows a payment arrangement when requested prior to the account being shut off for non-payment.  You must contact the District to be granted a payment arrangement prior to water service being terminated.  Only owners, or their property management company, can request a payment arrangement.  A payment arrangement will not be granted once water service has been terminated.

Q: If my water service has been terminated, how do I get it turned back on during business hours?

A: You must contact the District office and bring past due amounts current.  Water Department employees are not authorized to restore service without notification from the District office.

Q: If my account has been turned off for non-payment, can I have water service restored after business hours if I make a payment online?

A: $50 after hours fee is required for a service technician to restore water service outside of normal business hours.

Q: What types of payment do you accept?

A: Payments of cash, checks, money orders can be made in the District office.  Automatic withdrawal from your checking/saving account is available (an application for this is in the Bill Pay section). Credit/Debit Card payments can be made online using Webshare or by calling our automated phone processing service at 1-888-915-8114

Water Questions
Q: How do I shut off the water to my house?

A: Most turn off valves are located in the home's mechanical room, near the hot water heater and after the water meter.  To close the valve, either a wheel or lever, turn it to the right, clockwise.

Q: Why does my water have an odor/bad taste to it?

A: Try and determine if the problem is associated with just one faucet or if it is present at all faucets.  Run the water for several minutes and check to see if this has helped with the problem.  If the problem persists, contact the District to schedule an appointment with the Water Department. 

Q: Why does my water appear to be cloudy/milky?

This is a result of air in the water line.  Air may be introduced when there is a problem with interior piping, or if water system repairs/construction occurs in your area.  Allowing the water to run will generally clear the water's appearance.  If the problem persists, contact the District.

Q: What is my water pressure?

A: Typical water pressure in the District is between 40 and 60 pounds.  Pressure regulators can impact your water pressure and occasionally go out resulting in low pressure.  Contact the District about any concerns you have about water pressure.

Q: Why do I have low pressure in one faucet?

A: You may have a clogged aerator in the faucet.  Unscrew the aerator at the end of the faucet and clean any debris that may have accumulated over time.

Q: Why isn't there enough water pressure to operate my sprinkler system?

A: If this is an existing sprinkler system with no previous problems, contact the District to schedule an appointment with the Water Department.  If this is a new sprinkler system, check to see if you have a pressure regulator and that it is adjusted for the pressure needed to operate the system.  You may need to adjust the number of zones operating at a time.

Q: What setting should I use on my water softener?

A: Generally, a setting of 16 to 17 is recommended.

Sewer Back-Up Questions
Q: What can I do to avoid having a sewage back-up?

A: Have your sewer line cleaned, or videotaped, on a regular basis.  Your schedule will vary according to factors such as the age of your home and proximity to trees.  Occasionally, sewer lines need to be replaced.  Be sure to get more than one proposal when considering having the sewer line replaced.  Consider adding a sewer back-up rider to your home insurance policy.

Q: What should I do if I have a sewer back-up?

A: Contact the District and an on-call operator will be sent to your location.  Avoid coming in contact with the sewage and open doors and windows (if possible) to vent the odor.

Q: Who is responsible for paying to clean up the mess?

A: The homeowner is responsible for clean up and repair costs associated with sewer back-ups.  Contact your insurance company to report the problem, or contact a business of your choice to do the remediation work. The District has a list of service providers which perform this type of work.